Personal Entries Reference
I am thankful to be alive

It being Thanksgiving - a day devoted to gratitude, when we take a break from killing people to share our bountiful harvest instead - I found myself wondering what I'm thankful for. And when I say that I am thankful to be alive, I could mean it in terms of general gratitude for my life, which I do try to remind myself of on particularly downer days. But today, I am actually thankful to be living, breathing, moving - I survived my first solo voyage in traffic with the giant diesel manual transmission truck. After a very long morning with the cows and chickens, I took the farm owner to the airport in Albuquerque. I didn't plan the whole eating/resting thing very well, and between exhaustion, hunger, not really knowing where I was going, and not having driven any vehicle regularly in at least five years, let alone a stick-shift, I was shaking in my boots - literally. I was so completely drained when I got home that I went straight to the fridge, grabbed some deli meat (local and organic of course) to make a sandwich, but didn't exactly get to the sandwich part. All of a sudden I start giggling to myself, realizing it's 4:00 in the evening on Thanksgiving and I'm standing by myself at the kitchen counter scarfing down sliced turkey directly out of the bag. So poetic. Oh well. I've had plenty of harvest-sharing I suppose. And I didn't kill anyone today!

Thursday, November 25, 2010 10:54 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


.............. noun plural ... \ˈfärm-ˈnōts\ :

1 Written records of an untrained observer, most commonly one accustomed to urban environments and lacking any previous agricultural experience, that provide unscientific and subjective descriptions of the events, settings, participants, and behaviors taking place on a farm. Examples include confused interactions, irrelevant situational details, random observations, rambling thoughts, and sometimes amateur visual aids.

2 An attempt at keeping friends informed about the writer's secluded life without boring them to death.